Sunday, 31 October 2010

A Taste of the Real Vietnam

Today we had our taster day on the back of the motorbikes we are going to spend the next 7 days exploring south Vietnam on. I have to admit I've got the better deal, my guy not only speaks the better English but is also exceptionally short (and I mean shorter than Dickie and maybe even shorter than Suzy!) the advantage being I can see over his head as we're cruising along where as Tony only gets a side on view.

We had a days tour of Da Lat and it's surroundings and compared to yesterday we had a good weather day. That didn't stop our drivers recommending we wear waterproofs for the morning because showers were forecasted. I had an attractive army green combo going on which I did my best to carry off as normal attire, Tony on the other hand was given a royal blue two piece and the trousers fell some way short of his ankles! This is an indication of how difficult it is to find clothes to fit here - we both bought a pair of shorts a couple of days ago and both needed size XL - not great for the self esteem! We have found one advantage though, Tony was given a helmet to wear that actually fitted his pinhead!

After a great days sightseeing we were dropped off at our hotel and one of our guides asked us if we had plans for the evening which obviously we didn't, so he invited to his house for dinner to meet his wife and two young children which we gratefully accepted. We've just got back from a lovely evening of showing off our chop stick skills (or not!), making spring rolls and having a couple of beers. It was a real privilege to get to see a typical Vietnamese family and their way of life rather than the slightly false impression one gets as a tourist.

So, we head off tomorrow on our motorbike adventure and to all the nervous folk, we'll be careful out there (to be honest there's not much chance of high speeds as we will be two people, a 20kg backpack and whatever our guide brings on a 125cc motorbike!)

Love to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment